How to Boost Cell Signal in a Metal Building
Posted on 12/11/2023 by Web Admin
As we step into 2024, it’s time to embrace new beginnings and smarter solutions, especially in how we stay connected. For many, a significant challenge lies in ensuring strong cell signal in metal buildings – a common yet often overlooked issue. This New Year, let’s resolve to tackle this problem head-on, promising not just a year of stronger cell signal, but also enhanced productivity, seamless communication, and reduced frustration. Let’s reveal how to boost cell signal in a metal building, once and for all.
The challenge of metal buildings
Metal buildings can house a lot of different types of businesses. From auto garages to storage facilities, portable offices, and even retail, metal buildings often come with a hidden challenge: poor cell reception. This issue can significantly hinder communication in both personal and professional settings. But why does this happen?
The primary culprit is the building material itself. Metal is an excellent conductor of electricity, which unfortunately means it can also effectively block or disrupt radio waves, which include the cellular signals that our phones rely on. These waves struggle to penetrate the metal walls and roofs, leading to dead zones or weak cell signals inside the building.
Plus, other factors like the building’s size, its location relative to cell towers, and even nearby geographical features can further compound the problem. Understanding these factors is crucial in identifying the right solutions to boost cell signal in your metal building.
Solutions to boost signal in metal buildings
Here are the initial steps in boosting cell signal in metal buildings:
- Minimize interference
Electromagnetic interference can significantly dampen cell signal strength. In metal or concrete buildings, it’s essential to reduce this interference, especially in areas with weak cell coverage. A practical approach is to position WiFi routers and other wireless devices away from zones where cellular devices are primarily used. This simple adjustment can sometimes lead to a noticeable improvement in signal quality.
- Perform a site survey
The effectiveness of in-building cell signal boosters is largely dependent on the strength of the outdoor cell signal. Conducting a site survey helps determine this. Professional surveys are accurate and often used for businesses. For example, you’ll get a site survey included in the price when you order the Office 200 Pro Installed, which comes with professional installation. But if you choose to install your own booster to boost cell signal in a metal building, the weBoost App can also help you find the nearest tower and measure signal strength in various areas around the property.
3. Install a Cell Phone Signal booster
Our cell phone signal boosters play a pivotal role in transforming metal buildings from signal dead zones into areas of clear and consistent cellular connectivity. But how exactly do these devices work, and why are they so effective?
How signal boosters work
A signal booster consists of three main components – an external antenna, an amplifier, and an internal antenna. The external antenna is placed outside the building and is designed to capture the existing cell signal, no matter how weak. This signal is then transferred to the amplifier, located inside the building. The amplifier does the heavy lifting, boosting the signal strength significantly before it is redistributed indoors by the internal antenna(s).
Types of boosters
weBoost offers a variety of boosters tailored to different needs. Some are designed for entire homes, home offices or specific rooms in a home, while others have the power to cover a commercial space of up to 8,000 – 15,000 square feet.* Choosing the right booster depends on the size of the area you need to cover and the initial strength of the external cell signal.
Installation and setup
Setting up a weBoost signal booster is a straightforward process. The most crucial step is the placement of the external antenna – it should be positioned where it can receive the strongest possible signal, often on the roof or high on an outside wall. After connecting the components and powering up the system, the booster begins to work immediately, enhancing cell signal strength and quality.
Benefits beyond signal strength
Besides just improving signal strength, a good booster can also enhance the quality of voice calls and increase data speeds. This means not just more bars on your phone, but clearer calls , faster browsing or streaming, and better performance overall. In a world where every second counts, especially in a professional context, this can be a significant advantage.
By implementing these solutions, you can turn a signal-dead zone into a hub of connectivity. It’s about starting the New Year with the right tools and strategies to ensure that your metal building is no longer a barrier to effective communication.
* Coverage claims are based on estimates and can vary depending on factors such as outside signal strength, building construction, and building layout. Wilson Electronics’ Office products are the best performing cell signal boosters for smaller buildings. For larger buildings exceeding 15,000 square feet, we recommend considering the WilsonPro product lineup for optimal in-building cell signal performance.
Maintenance and best practices
Maintaining a strong cell signal in a metal building isn’t just about setting up the right equipment. It’s also about adopting best practices to ensure long-term effectiveness:
- Regular maintenance of signal boosters: Keeping your weBoost signal boosters in top condition is easy. Just regularly check for any physical damage, ensure all connections are secure, and periodically verifying that the system is functioning optimally. There really isn’t anything else you’ll need to do, and there are no subscriptions involved.
- Strategic device positioning: Where you place your devices within the building can affect signal strength. Keep cell phones and other devices in areas where the signal is known to be stronger, and avoid placing them near materials that can cause interference.
- Efficient use of building space: Consider rearranging work or living spaces to capitalize on areas with the strongest signal. This might involve moving key workstations or common areas to locations where the boosted signal is most effective.
By implementing these practices, you can ensure that your efforts to boost cell signal remain effective throughout the year. It’s about making small, smart adjustments to turn your metal building into a beacon of clear, strong communication in 2024.
When it comes to overcoming challenges like boosting cell signals in metal buildings, here are a few instances where weBoost products can dramatically improve connectivity:
- The Remote Warehouse: In a large metal warehouse situated in a rural area, cell signal can be virtually non-existent, causing significant communication barriers for the staff. After installing weBoost’s signal boosters, many have seen immediate improvement in signal strength, leading to enhanced productivity and smoother operations.
- The Downtown Office: Metal-structured office buildings in bustling downtown areas often struggle with inconsistent signal due to interference from surrounding buildings. The installation of a weBoost system not only boosts signal strength but also ensures steady connectivity, even during peak hours.
- The Country Home: Metal-framed homes in remote locations are often plagued by poor cell reception. Homeowners who install weBoost booster are pleasantly surprised by the transformation. What was once a frustration becomes a non-issue, with clear calls and reliable internet access.
A Strong Start to 2024
As technology continues to advance in 2024, it’s time to enhance your connectivity, especially in challenging environments like metal buildings. A cell signal booster is a simple yet effective solution to ensure you stay connected. Our range of signal boosting systems is tailored for small and medium-sized businesses, homes, and vehicles. Explore our selection today to find the perfect fit for your needs.
Here’s to a year of better communication and a stronger signal, no matter where you are!
Where do you need to boost your signal?
Receive updates and offers by joining our list!